A Brief History of Phillips Creek Ranch
Phillips Creek Ranch is located on what was formerly the world famous Phillips Ranch, established in 1936 when B.F. Phillips Sr. bought the first 640 acres of land. The first section of land was located on the east side of FM 423, one mile south of FM 720. Over time the Phillips Ranch grew to more than 1,800 acres, spanning from the east side of Lake Lewisville to one mile east of FM 423.
Leading the Pack at the Track
Phillips built his reputation as a breeder and trainer of quarter horses and his efforts were rewarded with his prized sorrel stallion – Dash for Cash. This was the only horse to win the coveted “Champion of Champions” not once, but twice. He was the Racing World Champion in 1976 and 1977 and during this period set two track records, won 21 of 25 starts, including 9 stakes races, and he finished first or second in all but one of the races he entered.
The Legacy of Phillips Creek Ranch
The family’s main ranch house, which was known as “The Big House”, saw the likes of national and international politicians, Hollywood stars, sports figures and media personalities step through the front door. Today, the Vista Park Welcome Center now sits where “The Big House” once stood. The ranch was also host to a number of high profile fundraisers and social events. The Phillips family sold the land in the late 1990s.